Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A POETIC JOURNEY THROUGH DARKER TIMES

I didn't think I could go on.  I'd lost hope, direction and my will to live.  My physician thought I might take my own life and I couldn't render assurance I wouldn't.  So, I was admitted ... to a hospital ... where the doors were locked ... where I couldn't leave .. and where I sat for 9 straight days in a rocking chair, with headphones feeding music through my ears and looking out a window at the fading days of autumn.

Then, on day 10, I picked up a pen and paper.  The inner pain and turmoil spilled out onto the page in the following words ...




Looking through my window
I watch the trees turn gold ...
autumn's here and passing
soon, to winter's cold.

Inside, my heart can feel it
as autumn slips away ...
the warmth from it is fading
a little more each day.

More that just a season
is passing by this time ...
it's life as I have known it
that's now no longer mine.

And yes, just like the trees
my colors too have turned ...
to shades all dark and gray
I've lost what I have learned.

That spark is gone that kept
me warm midst  winter winds ...
I sense the frost set in
to seize my soul of sins.

And as the trees now grasp
to keep their colored leaves ...
in the ordered way of things
they're lost, but no one grieves.

For life is not designed
to hesitate nor slow ...
the clock of time, nor wait
for those too hurt to grow.

Survival brings its pain
the trees could tell us how ...
all stripped and bare and cold
by spring they take their bow.

For life ascribes its line
to each of nature's schemes ...
but you and I, my friend
are on our own it seems.

Yes, some will lean and bend
and weather winter snows ...
but some, like me will lose
their way, that's how it goes.

And God, if there is one
will see those hearts that tried ...
to mend their brokenness
within a soul that died.

But God helps those who help
themselves, so it's been said ...
and if, like leaves, we drop
upon the ground instead

the snows will come to cover
and freeze us where we lie ...
but nature won't protect us
like the trees, that never die.

Our roots are not so strong
nor deep, like trees possess ...
and blizzards when they come,
will take us down, I guess.

So as I watch the fall
bring quickly changing hues ...
despair brings me much closer
to paying my own dues.

For giving up the hope
that spring will come for me ...
my seasons end this time
I'm right where I should be.

Behind gray walls of brick
that keep me safe, but I'm ...
a prisoner of myself
I've lost the will this time

to fight those falling leaves
'cause I can't stop them, no ...
I've given up on me
and await the coming snow.




The journey will continue in my next post ...












5 comments:

  1. Wow, I recognize this as if I wrote it. wow. This is n excellent read, thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome. I was hesitant to post any of my poetry, even though it was written many years ago. But I have often been told it would likely touch others and so it seems it has with you.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully touching . . . Thanks for having the courage to share so openly and honestly.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sensing the courage it DID take for me to share this. Though my poetry is from years ago, I have always been hesitant to share this openly with others, especially in a forum such as this. Your response gives me courage to continue.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete